Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) means to design products and processes that they cover all of the requirements at the right beginning and to avoid problem solving and fire fighting after start of production.
DFSS is goal oriented and causal in order to develop products and/or processes in whole or in part.
DFSS aligns the design tasks with methodology and data analytics.
The objective is to develop products and/or processes as prompted all external and internal customers and to ensure a smooth running of a new series.
The technical and methodological angles of DFSS are interactive with a required target costing and depending on project specific challenges Data Mining is integrated as well.
|10 training days (from 9:00 to 17:00)
|Cost excl. VAT
|Certificate of attendance for “Six Sigma Green Belt”
|Certificate of fulfilment for “Design for Six Sigma Green Belt”
|Each participant must have a notebook with the software Microsoft® Excel 2003, MINITAB® from R14 or younger and Adobe® Reader® ab 7.0 . The Software MINITAB® can be provided via us.
- You will achieve a fundamental understanding about the DFSS methodology for product and process design and you will be able to apply it in your company or you can support design engineers
- You are able to design a more simple product or process according to DFSS
- You are aware of the necessity and challenge for an integration of DFSS into the product development process (PEP) of your company
Product and Process design engineers, scientists, engineers, R&D, Engineering, production and Quality management.
Our DFSS training is following the DMADV cycle and there are several other DFSS models but our opinion is that it’s not relevant. The key issue is to start a root cause design and deliver it as required proven by data.
- Module 1: 5 days
- Module 2: 5 days
- Module 3: 5 days (incl.theoretical exam)
- Coaching as necessary
In this phase a design project will be defined and documented:
What are the key requirements and expectations on this DFSS project, what should be designed and why?
- Create a Development Strategy
- Set targets and product idea
- Develop the Business case
- Plan and define a Project plan
- Define ressources and gates
- Create an evaluation
- Create a communication plan
- Define/ fix target costs
In this phase all relevant requirements from all customers are collected segmented, compacted and prioritized.
These informations are the base for a design of alternative concepts.
- Collect and compile the customer’s requirements
- Prioritize and translate the requirements into CTS`s (specific and measurable customer requirements), specify target values and tolerances if possible
- Transform CTS’s into functional requirements
- Develop alternative design concepts
- Introduction into the creative toolbox
- Basics of TRIZ
The different design concepts generated are to be analyzed with respect to the criteria which would cause trouble later on during production if not satisfying.
- Identify performance and functionality
- Calculate the complexity
- Estimate risks (based on data)
- Determine costs
- Identify and assess critical elements in design and construction
- Analyze essential critical couplings
- Develop a concept selection matrix and select the best concept
- Pugh concept selection
- Optimize and finalize the concept
- Create specifications
- Determination of all necessary product components
- Evaluation of the relevant transfer functions (Y = f (x))
- Optimal parameterization and tolerance setting
- Ensure the robustness of the design
- Test/measurement and sampling strategy
- Demonstrate a robust product design
There is a prosecution of the causal chain of DFSS into the process design and the elementary inputs are the product specification and all further requirements existing.
If it is necessary to start a new design of any process then it needs to be started:
- Determine the required process capabilities and comparison with the existing processes
- Systematic generation of process design concepts
- Analysis of the concepts related to
- Functionality / performance
- Elementary couplings
- Optimization and finalization of the best concept
- Axiomatic process design, detailed phase
- Determination of all necessary process components
- Design Scorecards 3+4
- Process Modelling (DoE or Data Mining)
- Evaluation of the relevant transfer functions (y = f (x))
- Evaluation of optimal parameters
- Development of the necessary control concept
- Machine – and Process Qualification
- QFD – House of Quality (3+4)
- Process FMEA with data based interfaces
- Functional analysis for process designs
- Evaluation of the relevant process transfer functions (Y=f(x))
- Design of a process control concept suitable for the future production
- Measurement and sampling strategy, Basic-Roadmap
- Review of the Roadmap for Measurement System Analysis (MSA)
This is last phase and the finalization of the design project. The whole project goals are compared with all of the achieved performance of the design and it is a final review before hand over to production.
- Evaluation/review the product – and process performance
- Demonstrate and proof life cycle and reliability
- Evaluation/review of the purchased part and supplier capabilities
- Review of the development order
- Finalize and project and production documentation
- Delivery of the product and/or process design to production
- R&D handover on the base of appropriate agreed KPIs
- Hand over to series production
Dr. Dietmar Stemann
Managing Partner, Master Black Belt
Dr. Dietmar Stemann is the Managing Director of MTS ConsultingPartner and he has many years of experience in product and process improvement with Lean Six Sigma and Design for Six Sigma (DFSS). Its strength lies in the consistent introduction and implementation management for Six Sigma and Lean. He has in-depth experience in the international upper middle class and international corporations.Read more…
Managing Partner, Master Black Belt
Dipl. Eng. Gebhard Mayer has very intensive and longterm experiences in the Management of R&D, production, Quality and also Engineering. His spectrum of competencies contains many items from different industrial branches.
His main strenghts are a systematic way of working, paired with data ananalytics as well as root cause thinking and a visualization which is very important and helpful in complex projects.
Scope of services:
- Detailed training documentation (in paper and as .pdf.-files)
- Coaching of your project ba an experienced Master Black Belt (limited)
- Numerous data files, tools for exercises
- Certificate “Design for Six Sigma Green Belt”
- Free space for exchange and knowledge transfer
Exam / certificate of attendance Green Belt certificate:
After completion of the training each participant will receive a certificate of attendance for “Design for Six Sigma Green Belt”. After a fulfillment of the certification requirements each candidate will receive an official certificate for a „Design for Six Sigma Green Belt“. These certification requirements you can see here: Certification requirements